Real property tax
Real property tax
Effectively manage your asset’s largest operating expense – real property tax.
As the largest expense line item of a commercial real estate asset, real property tax is a controllable expense, but organizations may lack the specific state and jurisdictional knowledge, access to historical data or the time and human resources to tackle the property tax appeal process.
Improve your bottom line with savings on your real property tax bills and get trusted advice and tax management support at all phases of the asset lifecycle. From acquisition to disposition we:
- Ensure your tax obligations are accurate
- Outline all relevant tax-saving opportunities
- Reduce surprises during critical phases where real property tax assessments can be most impacted
- Leverage technology to compile information on your portfolio to set up property tax accrual
- Help with informal and formal negotiations
Make better investment decisions, bid with confidence and get your deal closed
Approach your underwriting and negotiating with the vantage point of data-driven tax information with proper tax due diligence.
By reviewing current property tax obligations, an examination of financial records, and evaluation of any outstanding tax appeals you can eliminate flawed real estate tax assumptions that can impact cash flows and erode anticipated returns.
- Pre-acquisition and pre-construction tax estimate reporting
- Reviews of property assessments
- early budget & forecasting analysis for all properties
- Reviews and transfer tax analysis
Protect your investments from unexpected tax exposure
Do you know how your development or redevelopment will impact the assessed taxes? Leverage industry-leading real estate data for greater insight to accurately forecast tax liabilities.
Detailed tax projections and forecasts for pro forma financial modeling will help accurately forecast tax liabilities created by the development or redevelopment of an asset.
- Transfer tax analysis
- Local experts who understand specific market economics and influences
- Industry-standard tax reporting validating real estate tax underwriting
Streamline your property tax administration and assessment appeal process
The appeal process can belong, and time-consuming.
Our team can:
- Review property assessments
- Manage the property tax appeal process to meet critical deadlines
- Provide clear and proactive communication on the status and results of our efforts through an on-demand client portal
- Manage budgeting and accruals
- Manage tax bills and payment processing
- Provide periodic and as-requested reports of the prior and current assessed values and taxes
- Manage Appeal Calendar
- Provide yearly budget & forecasting analysis for all properties
Make sound business decisions when considering selling or repositioning an asset
Our due diligence will deliver operational and transactional advantages including property and industry-specific strategies to help you decide on whether to dispose or reposition a property type.
- Provide status of outstanding appeals or tax refunds due
- Advise of the potential impact of the sale on pending appeals
- Counsel clients on asset vs. entity transactions
- Caution how the transaction date impacts future assessments.
- Encourage clients to control chatter in the marketplace regarding the purchase price
National coverage, locally specialized, and industry expertise
How we can help:
- Understand property assessment and tax rate trends and the potential financial impact of a reassessment
- Achieve results earlier in the appeals process than our competitors, reducing the time owners wait to receive tax refunds
- Use historical data, state-specific, local market and jurisdictional knowledge to challenge property tax assessments
- Use proven conservative valuation approaches
- Provide a detailed review of assessor records for accuracy
- Have highly qualified and experienced consultants with jurisdiction relationships.
- Have nationwide associations with local attorneys when litigation is required
- Partner with professionals in local markets across the country/local market expertise if required
Data center taxation
DFW industrial property tax benchmark report
Personal property tax consulting
Ensure you are taking advantage of abatements, exemptions, and valuation opportunities.
Financial due diligence
The financial insight and transparency you need to avoid misinformed acquisitions.
Personal property tax compliance
Stay compliant with your personal property filing deadlines. Take advantage of abatements, exemptions, and valuation opportunities.
Personal property tax for commercial real estate
Make informed decisions with our tax data and thorough analysis of your properties to uncover unique situations that can impact your assessment.
Litigation support & appraisals
Take the complexity out of the appraisal process. Our team members’ collected experience and specialized education allow us to be uniquely qualified to assist you in the solution of your complex appraisal problems.
Contact a qualified expert
Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals brings a wealth of industry experience and unparalleled data-driven insights, providing the clarity you need to make informed decisions.
Aug 23, 2017
PODCAST: D.C. Real Estate Developer Jair Lynch Discusses the Opportunities and Challenges of Submarket Growth in the Region
Dec 7, 2018
The Sky Could Very Well Be Falling: California’s Proposition 13 and Commercial Real Estate Taxes
Apr 3, 2017
Hotel Executive Magazine: REIT Status Shouldn’t Impact What You Pay in State and Local Property Taxes
Oct 24, 2016
Hotel Executive Magazine: In-House Tax Help Is Part of a Hospitality Company’s Evolution
Nov 1, 2017
PODCAST: Breaking News – Cityline Partners Submitted Amazon HQ2 Application for Tysons and Developing New Senior Living Facility
Jun 11, 2018
Hotel Executive Magazine: Does Investing in Capital Expenditures Add Value to Property, or Just Increase Taxes?
Projects & success stories
Minimize risk and enhance control measures on infrastructure projects with impartial expert advice.
Physical asset management
Understand the current state of your facilities and their maintenance practices so you can make asset and operation decisions.
Cost estimating & pro formas
Set realistic budget and development scenario expectations and maintain them.
Project & loan monitoring
Get peace of mind with accurate reporting on construction progress and cash flow from an independent project monitor.
Reduce project risks and construction costs with sound procurement, contract and dispute resolution strategies.
Keep decision makers informed with insights and data from experienced development consultants.
Need help with more services?
Connect with us and learn how we can help you see opportunities and maximize the value of your investments.