Municipal finance studies
Address municipal finance issues with professional expertise
The real estate development process is a complicated one, but throw in navigating policies specific to a municipality and then development charges, and it can be very overwhelming. Having an experienced and trusted advisor on your side is invaluable and can even help expedite parts of the process.
Our national team of experts is available to provide you with:
- Municipal finance impact studies – from simple average cost analyses to detailed case studies, we examine the potential impacts on the assessment base, municipal revenues, and capital and operating expenditures
- Comprehensive review of development charge proposals
- Expert witness services for tribunal hearings dealing with development charge issues and advice regarding development charge policies
- Input for land use planning team by providing advice on the municipal finance implications of proposed developments
- Strategic advice for other municipal finance issues including financial contributions for “best efforts” agreements, density bonus policies, and assessment issues
Understand the financial impact of a development on a municipality
Developers of infill or greenfield projects may be asked to complete a fiscal impact study / municipal finance impact study, as part of their development proposal. The purpose of this study is to understand any changes to municipal costs and/or revenues – resulting from the development. For example:
- Property, sales, income and other municipal taxes
- Water and sewage fees and / or costs
- Infrastructure costs
- New parks & recreation needed
- Public school costs
- Police and fire protection service costs
- And more…
Developers and homebuilders may also wish to commission research and analysis regarding development charges, and other imposed levies – to gain strategic insight and advice into how the development charges were calculated. Included in this should be: a comprehensive review of development charge proposals, expert witness services for hearings (should they be necessary), and advice regarding development charge policies.
Our advisory team have performed impact studies and analyses of this kind on behalf of a number of developers and municipalities across Canada. Their expertise and local understanding of the real estate development process can be a huge asset to any developer trying to navigate the development approval process.
Market research & economic advisory
Understand the viability of your next real estate project with custom research.
Market feasibility studies
Understand the economic viability of your development by looking at the local market forces at play.
Contact a qualified expert
Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals brings a wealth of industry experience and unparalleled data-driven insights, providing the clarity you need to make informed decisions.
Get an accurate and independent understanding of the value of your property or nationwide portfolio.
Financial due diligence
The financial insight and transparency you need to avoid misinformed acquisitions.
Minimize risk and enhance control measures on infrastructure projects with impartial expert advice.
Reduce project risks and construction costs with sound procurement, contract and dispute resolution strategies.
Cost estimating & pro formas
Set realistic budget and development scenario expectations and maintain them.
Keep decision makers informed with insights and data from experienced development consultants.
Physical asset management
Understand the current state of your facilities and their maintenance practices so you can make asset and operation decisions.
Project & loan monitoring
Get peace of mind with accurate reporting on construction progress and cash flow from an independent project monitor.
Need help with more services?
Connect with us and learn how we can help you see opportunities and maximize the value of your investments.