Economic advisory & market research
Understand the viability of your next real estate project
No two assets or markets are alike and standard reports don’t provide the deep insights into the market potential and factors that may impact the success of a project.
Gain a competitive advantage when embarking on your next opportunity with custom research, unique to your project. Uncover all you need to know about a local real estate market, and the unique economic conditions that affect housing, real estate and land development.
With national and local expertise, we work with many large developers, associations, investors and government organizations to provide:
- A unique, sophisticated approach to market feasibility, economic studies and the demographic and macroeconomic drivers of a successful development
- Critical research and analysis of municipal finance issues, such as development charge analyses, or fiscal impact studies
- Economic and construction activity forecasting
- Strategic research and analysis to address complex planning and development issues
- Expert representation in the case of litigation, arbitration or dispute resolution
- Experience that extends across several asset classes and sectors, including: purpose built rental, condominium apartment, low-rise housing, affordable housing, mixed-use, retail, office and industrial
Mitigate acquisition risk with a custom assessment of the forces at play, specific to your asset
When buying a real estate asset, whether it’s an existing building or development land, you need to know you are making a sound investment. If you are planning to hold it on the long-term – does it have good growth potential?
Support your acquisition decision-making with the proper due diligence:
- Market feasibility studies to understand whether or not the local market can support the proposed type of development
- Highest and best use studies to ensure you are looking at all the potential development / redevelopment options, especially those with the potential for the highest return
- Economic studies to properly assess the supply and demand of your local market and how that would impact your acquisition
Get professional advice and recommendations, before embarking on your next development project
Successful development and redevelopment projects begin with a firm understanding of the local market and a thorough assessment of all the forces at play – from economic context, market impacts, market profiling and forecasting. You need to:
- Get a handle on whether or not the local market can support the proposed type of development with a market feasibility study
- Understand an asset’s highest and best use by looking at all the potential development options
- Leverage an economic & demographic study to assess the supply / demand, and demographics of an area
- Determine whether the right market variables are in place to support your development thesis
- Drive down soft costs of developments
- Achieve development approvals in complex situations, and acquire the necessary fiscal impact studies for your application
- Navigate complex municipal policies to gain an advantage over the competition
Considering the sale or repositioning of an asset?
Avoid leaving money on the table with an understanding of the highest and best use of an asset. This type of study will:
- Explore the options available to you and shed light on where you will see the highest return
- Help you to understand the marketability of your asset before you start fielding offers
- Provide guidance on pricing your property, which can work in your favour during negotiations – as back-up and justification
- Support your decision to reposition or redevelop the asset, before putting it on the market
Market feasibility studies
Understand the economic viability of your development by looking at the local market forces at play.
CMHC Rapid Housing Initiative services
Understand your eligibility and position your application for success
Assess the market conditions affecting the demand and supply of a local commercial real estate market.
Contact a qualified professional
Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals brings a wealth of industry experience and unparalleled data-driven insights, providing the clarity you need to make informed decisions.
Our workView All
Property appraisals, Property tax assessments & appeals, Economic advisory & market research
Economic advisory & market research, Development due diligence, Market feasibility studies
Cost estimating, Cost allocation, Value engineering, Payment certification, Pro formas, Scheduling, Project monitoring, Economic advisory & market research, Economic studies
Cost planning, Lender and developer services, Economic advisory & market research
Contract solutions, Project and loan monitoring, Cost estimating and pro formas, Development consulting, Economic advisory & market research
GO Transit East Durham
Economic advisory & market research, Economic studies, Market feasibility studies
Eglinton-Crosstown Light Rail Transit
Property appraisals, Economic advisory & market research
St. John’s Taxpayer Committee
St. John's, Newfoundland
Economic advisory & market research, Property tax assessments & appeals
Altus Group Global Property Development Trends Report
Sep 27, 2020
Our report explores how the property development industry is building resilience in the 'new normal'
Video | Economic update: home sales and housing starts
Apr 16, 2020
Peter Norman, Vice President & Chief Economist at Altus Group, discusses on how COVID-19 has affected home sales and housing starts in Canada.
Video | Economic update: how low will things go and what will the recovery look like?
Apr 13, 2020
Peter Norman, Vice President & Chief Economist at Altus Group, discusses the economic outlook and what recovery might look like in Canada.
It’s an optimal time for converting hotel assets to multi-family
Jul 2, 2020
This is an optimal time for hotel owner-operators to determine if your properties are positioned to be winners in the marketplace that will emerge – or whether an alternative use for these assets, such as conversion to multi-family housing, might be a more financially rewarding option.
IMPORTANT Québec property tax update: proposed Bill 67 by the Quebec government on September 30, 2020
Oct 2, 2020
In the time of COVID: A snapshot of Canada’s seniors housing industry
May 29, 2020
With retirement and long-term care residences at the epicentre of COVID-19 outbreaks in Canada, owners, investors and operators are struggling to address daily operating challenges, while also trying to gain clarity about the potential impact on values going forward.
Five points an investor should consider when buying income producing properties
Apr 18, 2017
The price paid for most income producing properties is directly related to their current and expected income flow. Verifying the current income flow and estimating the future income flow is a time consuming but important process. Typically, for larger properties, an estimate of cash flow over a 10 year period should be conducted.
Need help with more services?
Connect with us and learn how we can help you see opportunities and maximize the value of your investments.
Minimize risk and enhance control measures on infrastructure projects with impartial expert advice.
Cost estimating & pro formas
Set realistic budget and development scenario expectations and maintain them.
Reduce project risks and construction costs with sound procurement, contract and dispute resolution strategies.
Keep decision makers informed with insights and data from experienced development consultants.
Asset and facilities management
Understand the current state of your facilities and their maintenance practices so you can make asset and operation decisions.
Project & loan monitoring
Get peace of mind with accurate reporting on construction progress and cash flow from an independent project monitor.