Development due diligence
Development due diligence
Make sure your development or redevelopment play makes sense
Acquisition of land for development, or an improved asset with the intent to redevelop – should always be preceded by a thorough development due diligence process. This ensures you have a complete and transparent view of all the risks, but also the opportunities.
Questions you might have and answers you need, include:
- Is this the development / redevelopment play with the highest potential return?
- What’s the likelihood of my development application being approved?
- What impact will this development / redevelopment have on the municipality and its economy?
- Are there zoning bylaws or restrictions that I need to be aware of?
- Will the municipality require a fiscal impact study when I submit my development application? (If so, what will that look like?)
- How should I budget for this development? Is there a way to understand the implications of different scenarios like an increase in development costs?
- Am I eligible for any tax grants, credits or incentives? How will my property taxes be affected by this development / redevelopment?
Optimize development value and profitability to get a robust return on your investment
No two developments or acquisitions are alike, but when you can draw insights from the past – it will give you the edge you need. Be prepared for the development application process by having a clear understanding of budget and expenses and be ready to execute on an exit strategy should the economic picture change.
Our development due diligence services include:
- Feasibility studies
- Highest and best use studies
- Project strategy and contract planning
- Budgeting and cost estimating
- Pro forma scenario and sensitivity analysis
- Fiscal and economic impact studies
- Eligibility for tax grants, credits and incentives
- Repositioning and rezoning costs
- Benchmark schedule analysis and master scheduling
We work with developers, associations, investors, and government organizations across Canada to provide:
- Market intelligence, backed by current and historical data & analytics
- Critical research and analysis of municipal finance issues
- Sophisticated understanding and approach to demographic and macroeconomic drivers of a successful development
- Timely, accurate, and trusted delivery of reports needed to fulfil on development applications
- Assistance during post-acquisition when you are working your way through the complicated development application process
- Transparent view and confidence in the feasibility of the development / redevelopment
- One-stop shop for all of your due diligence needs, including financial, physical and development due diligence
Economic advisory & market research
Understand the viability of your next real estate project with custom research.
Physical due diligence
When buying a commercial asset, it’s important to have the property’s condition physically inspected and assessed from a financial risk perspective.
Litigation & dispute valuation
Have a property dispute? Obtain a commercial valuation for litigation, arbitration and dispute resolutions.
Financial due diligence
The financial insight and transparency you need to avoid misinformed acquisitions.
Assess the market conditions affecting the demand and supply of a local commercial real estate market.
Market feasibility studies
Understand the economic viability of your development by looking at the local market forces at play.
Contact a qualified expert
Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals brings a wealth of industry experience and unparalleled data-driven insights, providing the clarity you need to make informed decisions.
Jan 28, 2019
As Good as Gold: Opportunities for Institutions to Extract Land Value through Strategic Redevelopment
Aug 14, 2019
Put pro formas to work to understand and manage development risks and protect your profits
Need help with more services?
Connect with us and learn how we can help you see opportunities and maximize the value of your investments.