Development due diligence
Development due diligence
Make sure your development or redevelopment play makes sense
Acquisition of land for development, or an improved asset with the intent to redevelop – should always be preceded by a thorough development due diligence process. This ensures you have a complete and transparent view of all the risks, but also the opportunities.
Questions you might have and answers you need, include:
- Is this the development / redevelopment play with the highest potential return?
- What’s the likelihood of my development application being approved?
- What impact will this development / redevelopment have on the municipality and its economy?
- Are there zoning bylaws or restrictions that I need to be aware of?
- Will the municipality require a fiscal impact study when I submit my development application? (If so, what will that look like?)
- How should I budget for this development? Is there a way to understand the implications of different scenarios like an increase in development costs?
- Am I eligible for any tax grants, credits or incentives? How will my property taxes be affected by this development / redevelopment?
Optimize development value and profitability to get a robust return on your investment
No two developments or acquisitions are alike, but when you can draw insights from the past – it will give you the edge you need. Be prepared for the development application process by having a clear understanding of budget and expenses and be ready to execute on an exit strategy should the economic picture change.
Our development due diligence services include:
- Feasibility studies
- Highest and best use studies
- Project strategy and contract planning
- Budgeting and cost estimating
- Pro forma scenario and sensitivity analysis
- Fiscal and economic impact studies
- Eligibility for tax grants, credits and incentives
- Repositioning and rezoning costs
- Benchmark schedule analysis and master scheduling
We work with developers, associations, investors, and government organizations across Canada to provide:
- Market intelligence, backed by current and historical data & analytics
- Critical research and analysis of municipal finance issues
- Sophisticated understanding and approach to demographic and macroeconomic drivers of a successful development
- Timely, accurate, and trusted delivery of reports needed to fulfil on development applications
- Assistance during post-acquisition when you are working your way through the complicated development application process
- Transparent view and confidence in the feasibility of the development / redevelopment
- One-stop shop for all of your due diligence needs, including financial, physical and development due diligence
Economic advisory & market research
Understand the viability of your next real estate project with custom research.
Physical due diligence
When buying a commercial asset, it’s important to have the property’s condition physically inspected and assessed from a financial risk perspective.
Litigation & dispute valuation
Have a property dispute? Obtain a commercial valuation for litigation, arbitration and dispute resolutions.
Financial due diligence
The financial insight and transparency you need to avoid misinformed acquisitions.
Assess the market conditions affecting the demand and supply of a local commercial real estate market.
Market feasibility studies
Understand the economic viability of your development by looking at the local market forces at play.
Contact a qualified professional
Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals brings a wealth of industry experience and unparalleled data-driven insights, providing the clarity you need to make informed decisions.
Our workView All
Property appraisals, Property tax assessments & appeals, Economic advisory & market research
Hyatt Regency Calgary
Development due diligence, Financial due diligence, Property tax assessments & appeals
Economic advisory & market research, Development due diligence, Market feasibility studies
Construction cost escalation – not all sectors and trades change at the same pace
Aug 31, 2020
It’s very common for developers, contractors and consultants to estimate construction cost escalation, for all asset types and trades, based on a single number or range. This is dangerous and can lead to grossly inaccurate development budgets and forecasts, and more time (and money) spent on contingency plans down the road.
It’s an optimal time for converting hotel assets to multi-family
Jul 2, 2020
This is an optimal time for hotel owner-operators to determine if your properties are positioned to be winners in the marketplace that will emerge – or whether an alternative use for these assets, such as conversion to multi-family housing, might be a more financially rewarding option.
How can I optimize the value of my property?
Apr 23, 2020
Property owners, property managers, and asset managers are faced with an endless number of decisions relating to the ongoing operation of real estate assets. Occasionally the question ‘What should I do with the property’ arises.
Your CRE asset value during coronavirus: 4 steps to mitigate risks
Apr 15, 2020
What owners, managers and investors can do to mitigate risks on CRE assets during the COVID-19 market disruption.
2021 Canadian Property Assessment Appeal Deadlines
Dec 16, 2020
Take the time to review your property assessment when it arrives and download the 2021 Canadian Property Assessment Appeal Deadlines to track key deadlines in your region.
2020 Canadian Cost Guide
Jan 29, 2020
Altus Group's 2020 Canadian Cost Guide is the leading guide to real estate development and construction project costing. Download it today.
Put pro formas to work to understand and manage development risks and protect your profits
Aug 14, 2019
Rising land values and construction costs in the real estate market over the past several years are raising risks for developers, lenders and equity investors. This precarious situation requires a new approach for understanding and managing development risk – an approach with pro formas as the focus.
Need help with more services?
Connect with us and learn how we can help you see opportunities and maximize the value of your investments.