Sound procurement, contract and dispute resolution strategies
Risks, changes, delays and disputes all impact project success.
Gain peace of mind with well-drafted contracts that properly allocate risk and provide certainty in project outcomes so you can stay on top of performance, schedule and cost matters.
Our team of experienced construction industry professionals provide insightful commercial project advice and contract solutions that help you:
- Save time and money by forecasting potential risks and working out solutions to the ones that do arise
- Mitigate risks and save on construction costs with detail-oriented procurement approaches, strategies, and development schedules
- Optimize project momentum and reduce the risk of delays by getting your schedule right from the start
- Clarify complex delay and cost claims with expert analysis and resolution using negotiation strategies backed up by a thorough review of the details
- Know whether your project is on track and rectify poor performance with a project audit or health check
Contracts that support your objectives while proactively defining risk and dispute resolution mechanisms
Whether you are purchasing a site or establishing overall delivery tactics, our team of construction contract experts will provide support so you can:
- Perform contractual due diligence
- Understand how to best procure and structure construction contracts and subcontracts
- Undertake technical overviews that ‘dot the i’s and cross the t’s’ of contract documents
- Target key timeframes with schedule benchmarking to ensure your project timeline is realistic
- Manage contracts and processes with training for your internal teams
Protect your interests with a strategic and commercial approach to contract risk, project delays, change management and disputes
With specialists assigned to assess the health of your project, you can make informed decisions and:
- Develop sound contracts that define performance criteria, reasonable contractual obligations and fair dispute resolution provisions that ensure project success
- Avoid negative cost and schedule impacts caused by invalid change orders with a detailed review to establish entitlement under the contract
- Determine the actual cause and effect of project delays with forensic analysis that fairly distributes the realistic costs to each party
- Present or defend claims with a trusted construction expert opinion supported by industry accepted analysis
- Negotiate solutions that settle disputes without costly litigation
- Identify liability for and present your case with a trusted expert opinion backed by thorough cost and schedule analysis
Construction adjudication legislation is being enacted across Canada | being prepared is half the battle
Recorded: Thursday, March 5, 2020
Duration: 39 minutes
Legislation on construction adjudication is being rolled out across Canada, and as with any new law, there are always lots of questions and grey areas. During this webinar we covered:
- An overview of provincial legislation roll-out – live or coming soon
- Lessons learned from other global markets as well as the Ontario Construction Act
- How the adjudication process works
- Potential pitfalls of adjudication and how to avoid them
- Our recommendations to help you win the adjudication battle
Keep decision makers informed with insights and data from experienced development consultants.
Cost estimating & pro formas
Set realistic budget and development scenario expectations and maintain them.
Physical asset management
Understand the current state of your facilities and their maintenance practices so you can make asset and operation decisions.
Minimize risk and enhance control measures on infrastructure projects with impartial expert advice.
Cost Escalation Report
Accurately assess construction cost escalation by trade, for better budgeting and forecasting.
Project & loan monitoring
Get peace of mind with accurate reporting on construction progress and cash flow from an independent project monitor.
Distressed development & workout solutions
Clarity on project viability for lenders, developers, trades and court-appointed trustees, monitors, receivers & managers
Contact a qualified professional
Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals brings a wealth of industry experience and unparalleled data-driven insights, providing the clarity you need to make informed decisions.
Our workView All
Cost estimating, Cost allocation, Value engineering, Payment certification, Pro formas, Scheduling, Project monitoring, Economic advisory & market research, Economic studies
Contract solutions, Project and loan monitoring, Cost estimating and pro formas, Development consulting, Economic advisory & market research
Developers’ FAQ on active projects during COVID-19 pandemic
Apr 2, 2020
Answers to help developers safely navigate the current and potential impacts of the coronavirus pandemic on active construction projects.
Construction contract answers during the COVID-19 pandemic
Mar 23, 2020
Practical construction contract and schedule advice related to COVID-19 for professionals in commercial real estate, ICI and P3 infrastructure.
Construction Act – New Compliance Obligations & Dispute Resolution Opportunities
Oct 15, 2018
Obligations and opportunities presented by Ontario’s new Construction Act
2020 Canadian Cost Guide
Jan 29, 2020
Altus Group's 2020 Canadian Cost Guide is the leading guide to real estate development and construction project costing. Download it today.
Key Amendments to Ontario’s Construction Act
Oct 1, 2018
An overview of the recent and upcoming provisions Ontario’s Construction Act.
Canadian Cost Guide 2019
Jan 30, 2019
Altus Group's 2019 Canadian Cost Guide is the leading guide to real estate development and construction project costing. Download it today.
2018 Canadian Cost Guide
Jan 24, 2018
The Canadian real estate industry’s leading guide to development project costing.
Tariffs & Construction Costs
Oct 5, 2018
Tips to manage risks and mitigate the impact of tariffs on construction costs and your bottom line.
What happens next? Strategies and precautions for construction real estate developers during COVID-19
Apr 22, 2020
Reductions in on-site labour, temporary construction shutdowns, and new site working protocols due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will cause the real estate and construction industry to feel the effect of this virus for months, and possibly years to come. The following identifies some of the risks, and provide some guidance on key strategies that owners and developers can follow going forward.
Stitch in time saves nine – How to use this pause in construction to save on your next development
May 12, 2020
With a desire to keep soft costs down, there is a reluctance amongst owners to invest more in the design and tendering phases of the project development. However, spending a bit more on the design team prior to construction seems to make a lore more sense, especially with millions of dollars in savings being left on the table.
Cost plans & estimates – the most underused problem-solving tools in the construction industry?
Jun 1, 2020
Cost estimates are one of the best problem-solving tools an owner, design team and construction manager have at their disposal. However, they are often treated as a formality, pulled together for compliance, when the wealth of information that is contained is often lost and rarely fully-leveraged to the extent it should.
Construction cost escalation – not all sectors and trades change at the same pace
Aug 31, 2020
It’s very common for developers, contractors and consultants to estimate construction cost escalation, for all asset types and trades, based on a single number or range. This is dangerous and can lead to grossly inaccurate development budgets and forecasts, and more time (and money) spent on contingency plans down the road.
Need help with more services?
Connect with us and learn how we can help you see opportunities and maximize the value of your investments.
Litigation & dispute valuation
Have a property dispute? Obtain a commercial valuation for litigation, arbitration and dispute resolutions.
Assess the market conditions affecting the demand and supply of a local commercial real estate market.
We have been hired on behalf of all parties – including government, lawyers and property owners, and are able to back-up our appraisals with expert reports and testimony during negotiations or in the case of arbitration or litigation.
Get an accurate and independent understanding of the value of your property or nationwide portfolio.
Property tax assessments & appeals
Understand the valuation parameters, legislation and tax policy that drive your property’s assessment and tax liability.
Property tax management & compliance
Manage your single largest operating expense and remain compliant where you own or lease property.
Get an accurate and independent understanding of the value of your commercial property or nationwide portfolio.
Market feasibility studies
Understand the economic viability of your development by looking at the local market forces at play.
Indigenous land claim property valuation
Support your reconciliation efforts with an independent valuation backed by historical data, expert opinion and testimony at negotiation meetings.