Sound procurement, contract and dispute resolution strategies
Risks, changes, delays and disputes all impact project success.
Gain peace of mind with well-drafted contracts that properly allocate risk and provide certainty in project outcomes so you can stay on top of performance, schedule and cost matters.
Our team of experienced construction industry professionals provide insightful commercial project advice and contract solutions that help you:
- Save time and money by forecasting potential risks and working out solutions to the ones that do arise
- Mitigate risks and save on construction costs with detail-oriented procurement approaches, strategies, and development schedules
- Optimize project momentum and reduce the risk of delays by getting your schedule right from the start
- Clarify complex delay and cost claims with expert analysis and resolution using negotiation strategies backed up by a thorough review of the details
- Know whether your project is on track and rectify poor performance with a project audit or health check
Contracts that support your objectives while proactively defining risk and dispute resolution mechanisms
Whether you are purchasing a site or establishing overall delivery tactics, our team of construction contract experts will provide support so you can:
- Perform contractual due diligence
- Understand how to best procure and structure construction contracts and subcontracts
- Undertake technical overviews that ‘dot the i’s and cross the t’s’ of contract documents
- Target key timeframes with schedule benchmarking to ensure your project timeline is realistic
- Manage contracts and processes with training for your internal teams
Protect your interests with a strategic and commercial approach to contract risk, project delays, change management and disputes
With specialists assigned to assess the health of your project, you can make informed decisions and:
- Develop sound contracts that define performance criteria, reasonable contractual obligations and fair dispute resolution provisions that ensure project success
- Avoid negative cost and schedule impacts caused by invalid change orders with a detailed review to establish entitlement under the contract
- Determine the actual cause and effect of project delays with forensic analysis that fairly distributes the realistic costs to each party
- Present or defend claims with a trusted construction expert opinion supported by industry accepted analysis
- Negotiate solutions that settle disputes without costly litigation
- Identify liability for and present your case with a trusted expert opinion backed by thorough cost and schedule analysis
Keep decision makers informed with insights and data from experienced development consultants.
Cost estimating & pro formas
Set realistic budget and development scenario expectations and maintain them.
Asset and facilities management
Understand the current state of your facilities and their maintenance practices so you can make asset and operation decisions.
Minimize risk and enhance control measures on infrastructure projects with impartial expert advice.
Cost Escalation Report
Accurately assess construction cost escalation by trade, for better budgeting and forecasting.
Project & loan monitoring
Get peace of mind with accurate reporting on construction progress and cash flow from an independent project monitor.
Distressed development & workout solutions
Clarity on project viability for lenders, developers, trades and court-appointed trustees, monitors, receivers & managers
Foreclosure and power of sale valuations
Lenders seeking to recover funds they lent on commercial assets or development projects should obtain a power of sale appraisal once the borrower's notice period has passed.
Contact a qualified professional
Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals brings a wealth of industry experience and unparalleled data-driven insights, providing the clarity you need to make informed decisions.
Our workView All
Cost estimating, Cost allocation, Value engineering, Payment certification, Pro formas, Scheduling, Project monitoring, Economic advisory & market research, Economic studies
Contract solutions, Project and loan monitoring, Cost estimating and pro formas, Development consulting, Economic advisory & market research
2021 Canadian Cost Guide
Jan 20, 2021
Your guide to better understanding Canadian real estate development and infrastructure construction costs
Altus Group Global Property Development Trends Report
Sep 27, 2020
Our report explores how the property development industry is building resilience in the 'new normal'
Developers’ FAQ on active projects during COVID-19 pandemic
Apr 2, 2020
Answers to help developers safely navigate the current and potential impacts of the coronavirus pandemic on active construction projects.
Opinion piece | COVID-19 impact on construction costs and escalation (part deux)
Sep 30, 2020
An update to Marlon Bray's March post on how the pandemic would impact construction costs and escalation on the short, medium and long term.
Challenging the traditional approach to project management
Dec 3, 2020
A new era of project managers is needed to adopt a more integrated approach and to address three key risks: scheduling, costs and claims.
Construction contract answers during the COVID-19 pandemic
Mar 23, 2020
Practical construction contract and schedule advice related to COVID-19 for professionals in commercial real estate, ICI and P3 infrastructure.
Construction Act – New Compliance Obligations & Dispute Resolution Opportunities
Oct 15, 2018
Obligations and opportunities presented by Ontario’s new Construction Act
2020 Canadian Cost Guide
Jan 29, 2020
Altus Group's 2020 Canadian Cost Guide is the leading guide to real estate development and construction project costing. Download it today.
Key Amendments to Ontario’s Construction Act
Oct 1, 2018
An overview of the recent and upcoming provisions Ontario’s Construction Act.
Tariffs & Construction Costs
Oct 5, 2018
Tips to manage risks and mitigate the impact of tariffs on construction costs and your bottom line.
What happens next? Strategies and precautions for construction real estate developers during COVID-19
Apr 22, 2020
Reductions in on-site labour, temporary construction shutdowns, and new site working protocols due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will cause the real estate and construction industry to feel the effect of this virus for months, and possibly years to come. The following identifies some of the risks, and provide some guidance on key strategies that owners and developers can follow going forward.
Stitch in time saves nine – How to use this pause in construction to save on your next development
May 12, 2020
With a desire to keep soft costs down, there is a reluctance amongst owners to invest more in the design and tendering phases of the project development. However, spending a bit more on the design team prior to construction seems to make a lore more sense, especially with millions of dollars in savings being left on the table.
Construction cost escalation – not all sectors and trades change at the same pace
Aug 31, 2020
It’s very common for developers, contractors and consultants to estimate construction cost escalation, for all asset types and trades, based on a single number or range. This is dangerous and can lead to grossly inaccurate development budgets and forecasts, and more time (and money) spent on contingency plans down the road.
Cost plans & estimates – the most underused problem-solving tools in the construction industry?
Jun 1, 2020
Cost estimates are one of the best problem-solving tools an owner, design team and construction manager have at their disposal. However, they are often treated as a formality, pulled together for compliance, when the wealth of information that is contained is often lost and rarely fully-leveraged to the extent it should.