Ontario Vacancy Rebate & Renovation Applications due February 28, 2019
Ontario property owners may still qualify for a vacancy rebate in participating municipalities
Starting in 2017 the Province of Ontario provided municipalities the discretion to phase out the vacancy rebate program. Historically, under this rebate program commercial and industrial property owners were able to apply for a tax rebate for units that were vacant and/or under renovation for future tenancy.
Since 2018, a number of municipalities have begun to phase out and/or completely eliminate this rebate program.
HOW ALTUS GROUP CAN HELP
- For municipalities that maintain a vacancy rebate program, Altus can prepare
and submit an application on your behalf
- For municipalities that have eliminated their vacancy rebate program, property
owners may still be eligible to receive a tax rebate for units that were under
renovation for three consecutive months within the year
ADDITIONAL TAX REBATE OPPORTUNITIES
Additional tax rebates may be granted for a property that experiences the following:
- Change in use (including taxable area becoming exempt)
- Demolition of a property, including fires, floods, and otherwise making a property unusable
- Clerical errors in preparation of the assessment roll that are factual in nature
- Contact us with any questions or concerns
- Provide details to Altus Group by February 11, 2019
- Altus Group will review and submit either a vacancy application or a renovation application depending on the municipal requirements
Download the Bulletin PDF
Connect with us
Want to learn more? Let us know what you're interested in and one of our team members will be in touch.
Jeff ArnottArnottbu-commercial-property-tax tax-assessment-appealsproperty-tax-management-complianceottawaVice President, Property Tax
Sandi PrendergastPrendergastbu-commercial-property-tax tax-assessment-appealsSenior Director, Property Tax
Last updated on September 4th, 2019 at 04:41 pm