There are certain circumstances where full rates may not payable. Some of these reliefs are mandatory and others discretionary.

  • When a property is empty
  • Where the occupier qualifies for small business rate relief
  • When the occupier is a charity
  • Where the occupier is a community amateur sports club
  • Where the occupier is a “not for profit” organisation
  • Certain properties which are located within a designated rural area
  • Where hardship relief is appropriate
  • Where the property is not fully occupied
  • Newly built unoccupied properties that completed after the 1 October 2013 and before 30 September 2016 subject to state-aid limit

Local Newspaper Relief

  • There will be a £1,500 rates discount available for office space occupied by local newspapers. This will be for a maximum of one discount per local newspaper and per hereditament for 2 years from 1 April 2017 subject to ‘State de Minimis’ guidelines.  This relief is funded by central government.

Public House Relief

  • The 2017 Spring Budget saw the chancellor announce a £1,000 business rate discount for public houses for the financial year beginning 1 April 2017, this has subsequently been extended to include the 2018/19 financial year.

Small Business Relief

  • Small business relief is available to businesses with a Rateable Value of less than £15,000.If the Rateable Value is £12,000 or less the rate payer may be entitled to up to 100% relief. If the Rateable Value is between £12,001 and £15,000 the rate payer may also qualify for small business relief.

Rural Rate Relief

  • If the business premises is in a rural area where the population is under 3,000, rural rate relief could apply, meaning a business rates reduction of between 50% and 100%. Business rates won’t be payable if your business is in an eligible area and either; the only village shop or post office, with a rateable value of up to £8,500 or the only public house or petrol station, with a rateable value of up to £12,500.

Charitable Rates Relief

  • Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs receive 80% mandatory relief. Extra ‘discretionary relief’ of up to 100% is also sometimes provided. Non-profit-making organisations such as museums and schools may apply to the Billing Authority for discretionary relief of up to 100%. This application must usually be renewed each year.

This site uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using our website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
Click here for more information.