The 2019 Pre-Roll Consultation Period – October 2, 2018 – November 2, 2018
This month, the City of Calgary announced it is replacing the Advance Consultation Period (ACP) with the new Pre-Roll Consultation Period. The relaunch is intended to have a greater focus on the needs of taxpayers. We are optimistic that this period will be more productive for our clients than ever before!
Throughout the month of September, non-residential property owners will receive 2019 Pre-Roll Consultation Period (Pre-Roll) notices from The City of Calgary. You do not have to wait to receive the notices in order to authorize Altus Group as your agent to participate in Pre-Roll on your behalf as the City of Calgary’s Assessment Search system is now open to complete the 2019 Roll Year authorizations!
Pre-Roll is an opportunity for property owners and their authorized agents to:
- Obtain preliminary 2019 assessment values
- Discuss the details of the valuation
- Exchange information with the City of Calgary that may assist in determining values
- Negotiate reduced assessments
Why Participate in 2019 Pre-Roll?
- The Calgary commercial real estate market remains challenged in the Alberta economic downturn – you need to ensure you are not paying too much property tax!
- Assessed values are often too high relative to this changing market and the commercial tax rate climbs every year
- The negotiation environment is improving at the Assessment Department
- Opportunities for early tax savings and avoidance of the appeal process are higher than ever
How to Participate in Pre-Roll
In order for Altus Group to participate in Pre-Roll on your behalf, we need to be authorized as your agent through the City of Calgary’s Assessment Search system for the 2018 and 2019 Roll Years by Friday, September 21, 2018.
If your Pre-Roll letters or 2018 Assessment Notices are missing or have invalid Access Codes you will need to contact the City of Calgary’s Assessment Department at 403-268-2888 as soon as possible to request Access Code Re-Issue letter(s) for the applicable properties. It is important that the authorizations are completed in a timely manner so that Access Codes issues can be addressed right away.
To assist you with completing the agent authorizations through the City of Calgary’s Assessment Search system, we have developed the following information sheets to guide you through each process:
Property Registration – refer to this information sheet if you have not previously created an account.
Updating Authorization of Agency – refer to this information sheet if you only need to update your authorizations for the 2019 Roll Year.
Linking & Authorizing New Assessments – refer to this information sheet if you need to link new assessments to your account and complete the authorizations for the 2019 Roll Year.