Altus Group Limited, its affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “Altus Group“, “we” or “us“) are committed to upholding your right to receive only those electronic communications for which you have expressly provided your consent. As part of this commitment, we want you to be fully aware of the steps we have taken to ensure that we only communicate with you electronically or permit the download of any of our ARGUS Software products, or any of our other products, with your express consent. Accordingly, this Anti-Spam Policy sets out what we will do prior to sending electronic communications or initiating the online download of software products in compliance with Canada’s Anti-Spam Law (CASL).
CASL came into force on July 1, 2014, and prohibits the:
- sending of commercial electronic messages without the recipient’s consent (permission), including messages to email addresses and social networking accounts, including text messages sent to a cell phone;
- alteration of transmission data in an electronic message which results in the message being delivered to a different destination without express consent;
- installation of computer programs without the express consent of the owner of the computer system or its agent, such as an authorized employee;
- use of false or misleading representations online in the promotion of products or services;
- collection of personal information through accessing a computer system in violation of federal law (e.g. the Criminal Code of Canada); and
- collection of electronic addresses by the use of computer programs or the use of such addresses, without permission (address harvesting).
Three government agencies, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), Competition Bureau and the Office of the Privacy Commissioner are responsible for enforcement of CASL:
- the CRTC will issue administrative monetary penalties for violations of CASL;
- the Competition Bureau will seek administrative monetary penalties or criminal sanctions under the Competition Act; and
- the Office of the Privacy Commissioner will exercise new powers under an amended Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
CASL gives individuals who are affected by an act or omission that is in contravention of the law, the right to bring a private right of action in the Courts against individuals and organizations who they allege have violated the law in order to seek actual and statutory damages.
In order for us to send a commercial electronic message to your electronic address (e.g. email address) or for us to execute the download of a software product via our ARGUS Software website, we must first have your express consent to do so.
If you are one of our existing clients, as of July 1, 2014, we may rely on implied consent to send electronic messages to you for a period of two years from the date of our most recent commercial interaction with you. Following the expiry of the two year period, it will be necessary for us to obtain your express consent to continue to send electronic communications to you. If you are not yet an Altus Group client or, are in the process of becoming a client, we will ask you specifically for your express consent before sending any electronic messages to your electronic address. Should you choose not to provide express consent, and it is your right under CASL to refuse, we would be obliged to use other (potentially less convenient) methods to communicate with you.
Similarly, if you are our client through ARGUS Software, and you have a license for one or more of our software products which you must download online, we will now ask you to provide your express consent before executing the download process. Again, should you choose not to provide your express consent in accordance with your rights under CASL, we would be required to abort the download and installation of the software you purchased.
Under CASL, you will have the right to withdraw consent to receiving commercial electronic messages from Altus Group, or for a previously consented-to download of one of our ARGUS Software products. All of our electronic communications include a CASL disclaimer advising you of your right to withdraw your consent to receiving commercial electronic messages from Altus Group, and there is a mechanism for you to exercise your wish to unsubscribe. You may also unsubscribe from Altus Group commercial electronic messages such as, but not limited to, direct emails, newsletters, and other communications that are sent to your electronic address.
Also, if you find within a period of one year from the date that you installed one of our software products, that the material functions of the software do not perform in accordance with the product specifications provided when you first installed the product, you may withdraw the consent you previously provided for the installation. In that case we will provide you with assistance – at no cost to you – to remove the product from your computer system.
Confirm your eCommunication Preferences
If you would like to continue to receive commercial electronic messages from Altus Group or wish to confirm your express consent to receive them from us in the future, please click on the following link: Communications Preference Center
If you are currently receiving commercial electronic communications from Altus Group and wish to unsubscribe, please click on the following link: Communications Preference Center
Withdraw Consent for a previous installation of an ARGUS Software Product
On January 15, 2015, certain provisions of CASL related to the unsolicited installation of computer programs or software will come into force.
If you determine that an ARGUS Software product’s material functions do not align with the specifications that were provided at the time you consented to the download and installation (within one year of the date the installation was executed) and you wish to withdraw your original consent and remove the software from your computer system, please get in touch with us at: CASL@altusgroup.com
Oversight of CASL at Altus Group
Altus Group has appointed a CASL Compliance Officer who is responsible for:
- overseeing Altus Group’s compliance with the provisions of CASL and all associated regulations; and
- adopting policies, practices and procedures to give effect to the provisions of CASL and the associated regulations, including developing information and informing staff about Altus Group’s policies, practices and procedures.
Questions about our Anti-Spam Policy or about CASL
For more information about our Anti-Spam Policy or if you have questions or a complaint related to CASL you may contact the CASL Compliance Officer at:
Altus Group Limited
33 Yonge Street, Suite 500
Toronto, ON M5E 1G4 Canada
Attention: CASL Compliance Officer
+1 (877) 258-8708